My Reflections

I first started creating a portfolio on Blackboard and found it to be quick and simple. There was no registration or signup needed, and unbeknownst to me there is a separate tab on our Blackboard front page. It was easy to make a post and add an artifact, but I found the styles or themes plain. The cons of the blackboard portfolio are that there is very little customization available and no direct link for non-blackboard users. It also seems like if you added multiple pages on blackboard they all link to a new tab/page. Additionally it can be cumbersome that you have to always share what’s newly posted.

Using CUNY Academic Commons was complicated, you had to register and then create a site. It was more confusing if you did not have experience with WordPress. However I do enjoy that there are multiple themes/templates that one can choose from. The site gives off a better visual look, and offers more customizable options. I also like that you’re able to share your link with others, even if they are not members. Also there is the added component of adding users/friends and following each other’s sites, similar to social media sites. Conversely I was not use to the fact that there were multiple views, and that one view offers different edits versus another, such as when editing a post or your site in general.

After making both e-portfolios, I would prefer the CUNY Academic Commons platform mainly because of the customizable features. I believe that having the ability to tailor your portfolio shows others, including prospective employers your experiences and skill set, especially as we enter a more technological era.